Wednesday, July 14, 2010

TNC's: Progress in motion?

According to Strayer, "By 2000, 50 of the world's 100 largest economic units were TNC's, not countries."

I was kind of surprised by that. I had heard the moniker "big business" before, but it's suddenly taken on new meaning. It seems I'm a little slow on the uptake. While shocking, I wasn't as troubled by this as I was by the news about Nike who over the course of 5 years, apparently "closed twenty factories and opened thiry-five others, often thousands of miles apart." While great for business, seems largely an irresponsible practice to me. In light of the impact upheavals like this have, should big business be allowed to do this? Is it not enough that they are able to move in and out of regions more accomodating to their needs?

No comments:

Post a Comment