Thursday, July 1, 2010

Nationalism

In doing some reading for another class, I came accross something that allowed me to better appreciate the kind of nationalism Madeleine was talking about in class Monday night.
I'll just share the excerpt here. I'll follow-up with an analysis at some point.
From Mystics, Visionaries, and Prophets: A Historical Anthology of Women's Spiritual Writings > Mother Teresa

"The clash between those who presently hold priveleged positions and those who are becoming communites of resistance and change will only be resolved through a new paradigm for a new India. In the present, as in the past, whenever the poorest people try to claim dignity and human equality, they are opposed by a form of fascism that masquerades as "Indian nationalism." The ideology of Hindu nationhood and Brahman culture has been a dangerous weapon in the hands of the state."

3 comments:

  1. Bet we can see it at work here in the U.S., too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We can see nationalism play out here in the U.S. Is that what you're saying Madeleine?

    I would say so. I'd even go a step beyond and say it's a byproduct of any situation where a ruling class presides over another-whether it be a caste(India) or class(U.S.) system. I'm sure a great many parallels can be drawn.

    ReplyDelete