Thursday, July 15, 2010

Just a Few Words on Suffering, Human Agency, and our Tendency Towards Insularity

On suffering:
If there's been any tone to my writing this term, it would certainly adhere to the above characteristics. With regard to suffering, Strayer reminds us how fundamental suffering is to the human condition. While I wouldn't call it a necessary human condition, I am inclined to say that it's so pervasive not only within our institutions, but in the way we treat one another and in our sense of insularity, that I'm inclined to call it as necessary an offshoot as water. So while it may not be oxygen, our lives do depend on it, or will always involve it. Can we reduce suffering around the globe? Or perhaps better put, do we have the resources to reduce suffering around the globe? Sure we do. That those resources will never be properly allocated seems to be the real issue.

On human agency:
Change begins with the individual. I relate everything back to the individual, because I've been steeped in psychology, and know both the limits and expanses of the human psyche. I am encouraged by Strayer's contention that "history offers encouragement for those choosing to practice kindness or seek justice," but I'm also realistic in seeing how far off from it we are. What's surprising to me is the innovation that we as humans are capable of, but that we don't seem to exploit. We'd rather exploit each other. Thomas Edison has been quoted as saying, "If we all did things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves." Just imagine that. To all who are dissuaded by the long road ahead, I'll offer two pieces of advice in the way of adages. One, by Lao-tze, goes: "a journey of a thousand miles begins with one step." This lays as testament not only to our willpower, but to our collective strength as well. Take the first step. Be the first step. The second piece of advice I offer comes by way of John Ruskin, who reminds us that the "highest reward for a person's toil is not what they get for it, but what they become by it."

On our tendency towards insularity:
Just remember that while the world is made up of you and me, it is at the same time, much larger than you and I. It's much larger than the room you're in reading this. It's much larger than the institution that provided the means for you to read this. Even still, it's much larger than the idea that that institution sprang forth from; much larger than all of the thoughts that institution has generated. To quote the still-living Aubrey de Grey, a pioneer in the field of regenerative medicine, "remember your sense of proportion." Your own sense of things is the single most limiting factor of your existence. If utilized properly, it can also be the most liberating.

Thank you.

4 comments:

  1. Those are three very insightful paragraphs. I believe that one should never under estimate themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Perry. I cannot agree more. I believe that whenever we let evil run its course, the unfortunate product of evil is suffering. However, guided by the conviction to do what is morally right, even suffering can produce positive things like patience in the midst of struggle. With your question, "Can we reduce suffering around the globe?" my answer is, "Sure, we can!" There are many charities that we can support.Operation blessing provides food, clothing, medical care, and other things. A child can be sponsored through World Vision. There is vast opportunity to reach out to the children of prison inmates through Angel Tree. I may no longer have the privilege to travel around the world, but I am assured that my small contributions are effectively distributed and making a difference. My prayer is that for every person reached out, that person would also do the same and bless someone else. In their process of healing and personal transformation, our society would improve. Imagine turning around the future of these abandoned children who are at risk because their parents are in jail. Exposure to a difficult environment can transcend to a bleak future, but we can help. Yes, an individual cannot change the whole world dramatically, but efforts can be multiplied and the results can be fruitful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Super insightful and well written. I couldn't agree more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Gia. Also, with Elza, be nice, open your minds and pay it forward. (only the nice stuff, leave the bad behind). There is always going to be negatives, it is how quickly you learn from it and move past it that counts.

    ReplyDelete